Friday, February 23, 2007

How to deal with a drama queen?


Drama queens are hard enough to deal with in the adult world but what do you do when it comes to a 2 year old drama queen?

I always said that I wanted to have atleast 1 boy and 1 girl. When I was pregnant with my oldest son I was secretely hoping that my first would be a girl, but I still love that little boy with all of my heart regardless! Then when I found out I was pregnant with twins I was thinking how cute twin girls would be but even though they turned out to be boy/girl twins I was sooo happy that I would atleast have my little girl.

What did I get myself into??

Since she was an infant she has been a constant drama queen. Even as a baby she would cry all the time and no matter what we did she just wasn't happy! She wasn't hungry, didn't need her diaper changed, didn't even care if she was held or not, she just wanted to cry (it wasn't colic)!

Now, she is almost 2 1/2 years old and is an over the top drama queen already! She just whines and cries all the time and most of the time there isn't even a good reason for it! Yes, she has 2 older brothers that do get a bit rough with her sometimes and I can understand her not liking that, but sometimes she just goes too far. Some days she will just be by herself and start whining and it's the fake cry with no tears, just whining and fake crying. If one of the boys just bumps her accidently she will scream and cry as if she just broke a limb! The other day she was sitting on the couch and my oldest just started walking towards her and she started crying. She can stop her crying on the drop of a dime so I know it's all fake!

Here's a funny example of how much of a drama queen she is. All 3 of them were fighting over a toy one day. The boys took off running and Rayne was screaming and yelling bloody murder and she was holding her arm. She wouldn't attempt to move or bend it and we were worried that she might have really been hurt. We rushed her to the E.R. where they did x-rays and found NOTHING wrong. She still refused to try and bend it so they put her arm in a sling but said they didn't see anything wrong with it. I swear to you, as soon as we got back in the car she was fine! She stopped crying and was moving her arm all around! I was sooo mad!

I even spoke to her pediatrician about her crying incase she had some sort of emotional problem and he asked a lot of extensive questions and couldn't come up with anything except that she's a girl, she's the youngest and she's the smallest. SHE WANTS TO BE HEARD! A minute later while he was examining her simply just feeling around in her belly she began to scream and cry with which he responded, "That's the fakest cry I've heard all day!"

Almost everyone I know has boys but after watching a few Supernanny and Nanny 911 shows I've noticed that a lot of other little girls show the same sort of personality trait and I'm thinking it's truly a girl thing. I was a single child, so I didn't have to fight for attention and never had other siblings to argue with. As harsh as this may sound, some days it's hard for me to even want to be around my daughter because it's just screaming and whining every 2 minutes, literally! If the drama is this bad at 2 1/2 what will it be like when she's 15?? Somebody better get me a straight jacket!

**The pic is of her screaming her head off because she fell in the snow (rolls eyes)**

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sit her down and explain the situation. You have a little narcissist on your hands. Do as much as you can to ignore her. And as mean as it sounds, don't baby her or validate physical injuries unless you can see true injuries and actual symptoms. If you don't fix it now, the future will be your fault too. Good luck.

Your Ad Here