Sunday, September 12, 2010

A Day I Will Never Forget..

I've decided to make this a serious post this time. I know that I'm a day late, but I've noticed many people reminiscing about that fateful September 11, 2001. Can you believe it has been that long?

At the time, I was working in an office. It was just a normal day until a customer kept ignoring me on the phone and said she was busy trying to listen to the news about a plane crashing into the world trade center? What?? No one had any clue what was going on, so the girl next to me and I turned on our radio. I guess we were the first ones in the entire company to let the news out. As soon as we found out what was going on, we told everyone else. It didn't take long until the owners went out and bought some big screen TVs and put them in the break room. Everyone was gathered around them watching what was going on. Some people were crying, others were in shock like wtf is going on?? Next thing I know, they called everyone in the building together. Everyone held hands and prayed and then they sent us home for the day. I remember being glued to the TV watching the smoke just rolling down the streets of NYC. It didn't seem real; it looked like it was some kind of sci-fi movie or something, not reality. I remember the people yelling and screaming in the streets. I remember a few days later crying watching all of the people there holding up photos of their loved ones that could not be found. Their mother, sister, husband, father, child.. where are they?? How horrible that must have been.

I had a friend who worked not far from the WTC. He said he sat in his office watching people jump off of the buildings. Can you imagine?? I remember watching it on TV, I can't imagine seeing it in real life.

In 2007, my husband and I went to NYC. This was my third trip there, but my first time since the attacks. Ground zero was very eerie. There were flowers and memorials left by other visitors. I don't know if I believe in "orbs" or not, but I took pics of a big wall memorial, and there were a bunch of orbs floating around. Out of 400 pics that I took in NYC, those were the only pics that had these floating lights in them? Coincidence?

My heart goes out to those who lost loved ones in the tragedy. That day will forever be engraved into my memory.

A memorial across from ground zero. I took this photo.

No comments:

Your Ad Here